If you are looking for the best way to send money to the Philippines from Malaysia, then you came at the right place! Being an OFW, it is somewhat given that we should send money to our loved ones back in the Philippines. There are a lot of ways you can do this, you can send money using Western Union, Money Gram or bank-to-bank via your bank's own remittance service. The best remittance service for me is the one with the highest foreign exchange rate, maximizing the amount to be received and the one with the lesser fees. And this could only refer to this remittance center very popular among Filipinos in Malaysia - Merchantrade.
Merchantrade is a firm that offers money transfer services to 10 million foreign workers in Malaysia. It serves the communications and money transfer needs of foreign workers from countries including Bangladesh, Philippines, Indonesia, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam. (From Wikipedia). They are also the one behind E-remit - the most convenient way to remit since all is done online. And aside from the convenience, the fees are also one of the lowest. You will be charged RM 9.00 (around 120 pesos) by Merchantrade (remittance fee) and an FPX transaction fee of RM 0.50 (around 7 pesos). Now, compare that to other remittance service. How to start sending money using E-remit?
Create your account first
1) First, you should register on their website www.eremit.com.my
2)After registration, a confirmation link will be sent to the e-mail address that you entered in the online application form
3) Finally, you need to confirm registration by visiting any of their branches. If you are Malaysian citizen, present your MyKad or Driving License but if you are not, just show them your original Passport and Visa. The whole process of creating and activation took 2-3 days for me, maybe because I went there during the holidays but some friend says that it normally would take only a day from registration online to activation for as long as you have presented your IDs already.
Send / Remit money on-line
1) Once your account has been verified and activated, you can begin sending money to the Philippines or any destinations mentioned above.
2) Login to your account. On your first login, you need to change your password.
3) Next step is to add recepient. You need to fill-in personal information and as well as the recepient's bank details such as account number and account name so you need to know these information
4) After adding recepients, you are now ready to send money. Click on 'Send Money' from the left panel.
5) You need to fill-out online remittance form similar to the one below
6) After filling-out the remittance form and clicking Next, you will then be forwarded to the FPX server. FPX is an online solution which connects to your online bank account.
7) Login to your online bank account such as CIMB Clicks, Maybank 2u, etc. and confirm your payment 8. Once transaction is successful, you will receive a remittance receipt. Don't worry if you are not able to save this because it will be saved under Transaction History on your Eremit account.
For the detailed step-by-step instructions, you may visit the online manual here.