The epitome of success could never be achieved if one did not set a foot at the bottom of the staircase. Did you know that Mang Inasal, one of the most preferred dining places of the Filipinos today, can prove this? Where Did Mang Inasal start? Establishing its first branch in a 3-year-old unoccupied space in Robinsons Mall Carpark, Iloilo on December 12, 2003, Mang Inasal quickly became a hit for the Ilonggos.
Of course, it would not be done without the efforts of its owner, Mr. Edgar Sia II. After conducting a research on what could be the common “taste” of the 16 regions in the Philippines, Sia figured out that “barbecue” (or simply, Inasal in Ilonggo) is the mass appeal—a feat that has been capturing the hearts and empty stomachs of the Filipino people.
Before enterprising his business to Luzon, specifically in Manila, Mang Inasal opened its second outlet in Roxas City, Sia's hometown. With this, his business bloomed in the provinces to 26 branches; a proof that his Inasal has really caught the Filipino tastebuds.
In 2006, he finally opened his outlet in Manila, a venture that he referred to as the “make-or-break” city. It was during this year when the city was in the middle of rice shortage (and as we all know, rice is a primary food for the Filipinos). This was where he opened the “Unli Rice” promo, which was only supposed to run for two months. Seeing that it has attracted more customers, the promo became permanent and is now being simulated by other fast food chains.
Where is Mang Inasal today? Right now, Mang Inasal runs in 433 outlets across the country, and is now the second largest fast food chain next to Jollibee and ahead of McDonalds, with Manila having above 100 Mang Inasal branches.
As of the moment, Mang Inasal is present in an estimate of 70 cities, and is continuously being expanded. Mang Inasal's accounts of success stories are not limited to the expansion of its stores, but it can also be remarked with how it can help in alleviating the unemployment rate in the country. Due to its “grilled chicken” nature, Mang Inasal's natural way of cooking chicken also depends on the suppliers of kalamansi, charcoal, banana leaves, vegetables, bamboo sticks, and any other ingredients.
Although Mang Inasal has already been sold to the giant company, Jollibee Food Corp., it continues to brandish its own uniqueness and ubiquity, bringing the favorite Filipino dish to all Pinoys across the country, the inasal chicken way.
1) Did you know that Mang Inasal means “Mr. Barbecue?”
2) Mang Inasal is not only known for its delicious food, but with its affordable, permanent, rice-all-you-can promo, equipped with quick service.
3) Edgar Sia II is actually an architecture drop-out, but he was still able to establish a successful fast-food chain! How cool is that?
4) Also, Edgar Sia II gained 3Billion after selling Mang Inasal to Jollibee, a feat that proves how much of a successful businessman he is, and how high he has propelled Mang Inasal to success.
5) Mang Inasal's success follows this formula: good business concept + quality of food + exceptional marketing strategy + affordable pricing and even expansion + the X Factor (blessing of God), which should be dealt with the right asal (behavior).